• To talk about anything that is upsetting you, you can contact Samaritans 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. You can call 116 123 (free from any phone), email [email protected] or visit some branches in person.


  • If you’re experiencing a mental health problem or supporting someone else, you can call SANEline on 0300 304 7000 (4.30pm–10.30pm every day). They also provide a free text-based support service called Textcare. Available between 4.30pm – 10.30pm each evening, every day of the year. http://www.sane.org.uk/what_we_do/support/textcare


  • The Mix. If you’re under 25, you can call The Mix on 0808 808 4994 (Sunday-Friday 2pm–11pm), request support by email using this form on The Mix website or use their crisis text messenger service.


  • Papyrus HOPELINEUK. If you’re under 35 and struggling with suicidal feelings, or concerned about a young person who might be struggling, you can call Papyrus HOPELINEUK on 0800 068 4141 (weekdays 10am-10pm, weekends 2pm-10pm and bank holidays 2pm–10pm), email [email protected] or text 07786 209 697.


  • Campaign Against Living Miserably (CALM). If you identify as male, you can call the Campaign Against Living Miserably (CALM) on 0800 58 58 58 (5pm–midnight every day) or use their webchat service.


  • If you’re a student, you can look on the Nightline website to see if your university or college offers a night-time listening service. Nightline phone operators are all students too.


  • If you identify as gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender, you can call Switchboard on 0300 330 0630 (10am–10pm every day), email [email protected] or use their webchat service. Phone operators all identify as LGBT+.


  • In Barnsley, Calderdale, Kirklees and Wakefield anyone registered with a GP has access to a 24 hour mental health helpline.



In Barnsley 24/7 open access mental health services:

Adults (aged 18+) – 01226 645000

Children and young people (CAMHS) – 01226 644829

People with a learning disability- 01226 645237



In Calderdale 24/7 open access mental health services:

Adults (aged 18 +) – 01924 316830

Children and young people (CAMHS) – 01422 300001

People with a learning disability –– 07795 884879



In Kirklees 24/7 open access mental health services:

Adults (aged 18-65) – 01924 316830

Older adults – 0300 304 5555

Children and young people (CAMHS) 0300 304 5555

People with a learning disability – 01924 316714



In Wakefield 24/7 open access mental health services:

Adults (aged 18+) – 01924 316900

Children and young people (CAMHS) – 01977 735865

People with a learning disability – 01977 465435


  • In Sheffield If your service is closed for the day or you do not currently receive support from one of the services and you need urgent help you can contact Single Point of Access on 0114 226 3636 or 0808 196 8281 (freephone).

They are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.


  • In an emergency call 999 – If you feel unable to keep yourself safe and you need immediate help – especially if you think you are at risk of acting on suicidal feelings, or you have seriously harmed yourself and need medical attention. Some A&E departments have a liaison psychiatry team (specialist help for mental health) that you can ask to see. If there isn’t a liaison psychiatry team, A&E staff might contact other local services such as a crisis team (CRHT) to help assess you.